Healthy New Year’s Resolutions That Don’t Require Working Out:
1) Continue a regular meditation practice. This brings compassion, energy, and peace into my life. And I need more of that.
2) Search for new ways to detoxify the products we use in our home. I just bought a big jug of vinegar to make some DIY toxic-free cleaners. Here are a couple items on my Christmas wish list to assist in this New Year’s resolution (some affiliate links):
- Toxic-free mascara: Physician’s Formula Organic Wear 100% Natural Origin Mascara
- Green and toxic-free food wrap: Bee’s Wrap (alternative to plastic wrap)
- Reducing microwaving: Cuisinart Toaster Oven
3) Limit Facebook. I know I spend too much of my life in the mindless feed of Facebook. Some of it I really enjoy: the community from blogging and YouTube, the support, giving support. But part of me feels distressed reading certain posts that I have no control or influence over. There is still room for Facebook in my life but that time needs to be restrained and managed. I can use that time for many other projects in my life.
4) Nurture local relationships with like minded mommies (yogis, AP, green, toxic-free). It is not easy to find these folks where I live. And nurturing friendships is not easy when you are an introvert. But I currently am lucky enough to have a few new mom friends who have values similar to mine. I want to build these friendships.
5) Grow a kick-ass organic garden and freeze/can enough to feed our family throughout most of the year.
6) Declutter. I’m not sure if it is all the “baby stuff” or what, but I’m starting to feel suffocated in my own home. I’ve seen the “bag-a-day” challenges on Pinterest and I think it is time to whole-heartedly do one of them. I have a hard time letting go but I think it will be very freeing.
7) Take baby steps toward vegetarianism. Becoming a mother has drastically changed how I view the value of every living creature’s life and quality of life. I can’t change what my husband eats but I can change what I eat.
8) Get more sleep. I was a pro at this pre-baby. Now, not so much. I need to go to bed by 10 pm to be sure to get at least 8 hours of broken sleep before Elliot officially wakes up for the day. 10 pm also happens to be the Ayurvedic bedtime for yogis.
Do we share any resolutions? Do you have any tips for decluttering and letting go? Do you feel ready for a Facebook detox?